Don't forget to check the beauty sale pages at Macy's here and
Nordstrom here for new beauty deals plus free shipping!


Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Review: Hard Candy Glamoflauge Invisible Camouflage Foundation

I've mentioned a few times here on the blog that I've really been enjoying this new Hard Candy Glamoflauge Foundation, which I bought over a month ago at Walmart when all of the new 2015 products first started hitting stores (if you'd like to see my review of one of the new eyeshadow palettes, CLICK HERE).

So today I'd like to tell you exactly why I've been reaching for this product so often these days...

Hard Candy Glamoflauge Invisible Camouflage Foundation in 933 Light
(retail: $7, 1.1 oz)

This foundation comes in eight shades, which you can purchase either in-store at Walmart or on the Walmart website. I purchased the shade Light, which is the fourth lightest shade in the range (preceded by Porcelain, Fair and Ivory). After looking at all of the shades in the display, I remember thinking that Light may be a tad too dark for my NC20 skintone, since I usually go with the second-lightest shade in any given drugstore foundation range. However, the tone of Light looked closest to my skin, so I figured that even if it was a tad too dark, I could blend some lighter powder on top and fix that. 

Keep reading for my full review...


As most of you probably know, this foundation is an extension of the very popular Glamoflauge Concealer line (which I reviewed here several years ago). I liked that concealer but, truth be told, I was half expecting the foundation to be just a thinned-out version of the concealer (not true, but we'll get to that in a moment).

Keep in mind that I purchased this foundation before there were any reviews online, so I really had no information to color my opinion other than my assumptions about it possibly being like the concealer. I remember hearing people say that they were hoping that this might be a good drugstore alternative to Kat Von D Lock-It foundation, and to that I say: try CoverGirl Outlast 3-in-1 Foundation if you want crazy intense coverage from the drugstore that doesn't budge. Because, in my opinion, this foundation is not similar to Kat Von D Lock-It at all. 

But that said, I love this stuff and I want to tell you why...
pump applicator

This bottle comes with a pump (yay) that you can unscrew to get the last drops out when the bottle's almost empty. The bottle itself is made of plastic, not glass, making it nice for travel.


Made in USA



Notice that kaolin (white clay) is pretty high up in the ingredients. This is a real selling-point for me personally, since my oily skin reacts very well to kaolin when it comes to oil control. It's the main reason why I still adore the Black Radiance Complexion Perfection Face Primer that I reviewed many years ago (kaolin is the third ingredient in that primer).


As you can see, this is a thin foundation, but it's not watery and it doesn't immediately start dripping when you apply a bit to the back of your hand. The consistency is very similar to Physicians Formula Youthful Wear Spotless Foundation (the Armani Maestro "dupe") that I reviewed last year. In fact, the first time I applied the Hard Candy foundation, I immediately thought, "Is this the exact same formula as PF Spotless?" They're that close in texture, viscosity and the way they feel when you're applying and blending into the skin. Both foundations also look similar on the skin--more of a "second skin" type of look rather than the heavier look you get with a full-coverage foundation. There are other differences as well, which I'll get to in a second.

To give you an idea of how this foundation covers some of my imperfections:

Left: bare skin
Middle: after foundation
Right: after foundation + powder

I took these photos late at night (which explains why my circles are extra-dark) but I just wanted to give you an idea of how this looks in action. I have large pores on my cheeks, old acne scars, sun spots, redness, you name it. By itself, this foundation does a great job at evening out my skintone and concealing many of my imperfections. It does not mask everything, but I love the way my skin still looks like skin after application. I applied this using nothing but my fingers, which is my favorite way to apply. Due to the thinner consistency of this foundation, I find that it does not work well with a sponge, or even a foundation brush. A brush is better than a sponge, but I think it really works best with fingers (for me, at least).

On its own, shade 933 Light is a tad too dark for me (as predicted), but with the right powder, I think it looks just fine (in this case, I used an old Physicians Formula Powder Palette in Creamy Natural which I got on clearance a while back but only recently opened).

For my more significant flaws such as under-eye darkness and sun spots, I still need to apply concealer after using this foundation, but I find that I don't need to use a lot of concealer to get the job done. And on days when I'm in a hurry, I feel confident enough, with just the foundation, to be able to leave my house and not feel "undone."

As for staying power, I'm highly impressed with how this wears throughout the day. I have very oily skin, and it's been warm here in San Diego while I've been testing this (on a few days it was 90+ degrees). What I find amazing is that I've tested this product without any setting powder (just moisturizer + this foundation on my skin for the whole day) and it lasts on me even without powder for 8+ hours. I'm guessing that it's the kaolin, which I mentioned above works great for oily skin, combined with the cyclopentasiloxane, which is the first ingredient in many face primers such as Smashbox Photo Finish, Benefit The POREfessional, etc. If I use a makeup towelette at night, I can still see plenty of this foundation on the towelette, even at midnight. No primer, no setting powder, and it's still there from morning to bedtime.

Also, this formula does not oxidize on me at all. When I apply a bit of concealer and setting power on top of this foundation, I am seriously good to go for 12+ hours with just the need for an oil-blotting sheet on my nose at about 2PM (and that's only on really warm days). And that is the biggest difference, for me personally, between this and the PF Youthful Wear Spotless foundation. As I mentioned above, both foundations look and feel almost identical on the skin, and they pretty much provide the same amount of coverage (Hard Candy is a tad better), but the staying power is what really sets these two products apart, as well as the applicator (I prefer Hard Candy's pump to PF's dropper style applicator). The PF foundation doesn't fare so well in warm weather, while the Hard Candy foundation is absolutely fan-freaking-tastic in warm weather for me.

The finish is described by Hard Candy as "velvet" and I would say that's pretty accurate. It's definitely not a matte finish, but it's also not dewy. It just looks like "skin" to me. Also, I don't really get a liquid-to-powder feel with this (as described on the bottle). To me, it's a liquid that melts into the skin and leaves a soft, velvet-like finish behind. It's not powdery at all to me in look or feel once it sets.

There is no added fragrance to this formula and to me it smells similar to other fragrance-free foundations and primers (sort of a light "chemical" scent but nothing strong or obnoxious). I have not experienced any unusual irritation, dryness or breakouts while using this product.

FINAL VERDICT:  If you like thin foundations that provide more of "second-skin" look but still manage to even out skintone and provide nice coverage, I think you might want to consider Hard Candy Glamoflauge Invisible Camouflage Foundation. I would especially recommend this if you have oily skin and/or you already like Physicians Formula Youthful Wear Spotless foundation. The coverage is a bit better than the PF foundation to me, and the staying power is absolutely exceptional on my oily skin. I think that if you were hoping this might be a dupe for Kat Von D Lock-It, then you'll probably be disappointed since this is in no way a thick, full-coverage foundation. Now I love my thicker, full-coverage foundations (CoverGirl Outlast Stay Fabulous 3-in-1 is my holy grail after all) but sometimes I just want something lighter, easier to apply, and more natural-looking. And that's exactly why I'm loving this foundation. I can apply it very quickly, I can skip concealer (and powder!) on lazy days, and I know it's going to last, and last. What more could you want when you're in a hurry and don't have a lot of time to devote to makeup application, right?

Do you already own Hard Candy Glamoflauge Invisible Camouflage Foundation? If so, you know I would absolutely love to hear how it's been working for you. Do you agree or disagree with my assessment? And if you don't own it, do you think it might be a good fit for you based on my experience?

The products featured in this post were purchased with personal funds. For more information, click here.
SHARE:

39 comments

  1. I've absolutely been loving this...it's my new go-to foundation! I have dry skin but this still works, especially now that the weather has been 80 degrees in New England (finally, haha!). I also bought Light and it's too dark...I need to get Fair next time. The names definitely threw me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaah, I'm so grateful to hear from someone with dry skin who also loves this foundation! Thank you so much for that. And yes, the names threw me too! I think I might try Fair next time as well, to see how it compares. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Ivory is a very very light shade with a yellow undertone! It's actually too light for me (an oddity within itself) HOWEVER I love using this foundation as a mixing agent to lighten my other foundations up. It works amazingly! Great review G, you hit the nail on the head with this foundation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a great idea! Thank you so much for sharing, and I'm so glad you agree with what I said. :)

      Delete
  3. Hmmm...I've had this in my hands a few times since it came out but didn't get it. I use the Glamoflauge concealer just under my eyes and it's OK but creases... I'm intrigued by the "second skin" look. Right now I'm using Rimmel Stay Matte liquid mousse foundation in light porcelain (over the Stay Matte primer) and sometimes I feel like it's almost too much coverage. I love the color and it stays on well. I'm just lucky and don't need heavy coverage...this review might just be the thing that makes me try the Glamoflauge ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to know what you think if you try it! :)

      Delete
  4. Yep, this stuff is pretty amazing. I love it. I do use a brush to apply it though. Works great for me. I don't even use a full pump of this. A little goes a long way. That's another reason I like it so much. It will definitely be cost effective for me since a bottle of this will last me a long time. I do find it runs a tad bit on the dark side too. I bought Fair and Light just because I wasn't sure which one to get. Figured I could mix the two if need be. But Light seems fine for me now that I've been outside walking the past few weeks and have gotten a little but of color on my face. Definitely makes my face look flawless and lasts all day. In short, pretty much perfect in my book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad this is working for you, Carol! And btw, which brush do you use? :)

      Delete
    2. I use the IT Brushes for Ulta Airbrush OMG! Foundation Brush #106. I absolutely love this foundation brush. I use it for everything: CC Cream, this foundation the CG 3-in-1, really any liquid product. It just gives the best finish. They really nailed the name on this brush because it does give a nice, OMG airbrush finish. :D

      Delete
  5. I also LOVE this foundation. I have extremely oily skin, but I also don't like heavy foundations. The Covergirl 3 in 1 is good for my oil, but I don't like how heavy it feels, even using a Beauty Blender to sheer it out a bit. This foundation feels like nothing on my face, yet it does a great job at controlling my oil. I definitely do still have to blot my face, but I've never found anything that keeps me 100% oil free. I always use an oil control primer and oil control setting spray so that also helps. My only issues with this are the color selection. The color Medium Tan is actually lighter than the color Medium?! The darkest color, Tan, is not that dark and it's also very pink. I wear Medium at my palest and thought Medium Tan would be good for my summer color, but it made me look like a ghost. I was hoping to have a color to wear during summer, but Tan just won't cut it :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I would love to know which oil control primer and setting spray you use? I have super oily skin too! Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Lily, sorry to butt in but in case Brittneeey doesn't see your comment, I linked to a great affordable oil control primer near the top of this review (Black Radiance) and the Neutrogena Shine Control translucent powder is also excellent for helping control oil if you've never tried it. :)

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you reviewed this G! And I'm so glad you liked it! Most of the reviews I've seen on YT weren't very favorable but I feel the same way about this foundation as you. I stopped using it though because I got it in the shade Porcelain and it turned out to be way too light. I've been having a hard time finding my shade in foundations. I'm hoping you can help me find the right shade in this foundation. I think my skin is NW20, I have a yellow undertone. I have also used the cover girl 3 in 1 but the lightest shade is too light and the next shade is too dark. I also have oily skin so I would love to know what primer you use to only have to blott at 2pm! Thank you for your excellent and informative review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't watched too many YT reviews but I've heard there were some unfavorable reviews out there. I'm wondering if people assumed this would be a thicker, full coverage foundation, and maybe they were disappointed to find that it isn't? Sort of like when you reach for a sip of Coke and you realize it's iced tea in the glass? The iced tea on its own is delicious, but if your taste buds were anticipating Coke it makes the iced tea taste horrible. Lol!

      As for a shade rec, I would say that since you're NW20 and Porcelain was too light, maybe get another shade that's close to that one and try mixing? Since you already own Porcelain, it wouldn't be too much of an investment, and you can play around with the proportions, adding drop by drop, until it darkens it up enough. Hope that helps! :)

      PS: I link to the primer near the top of this review. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much G! You are wonderful! I will definitely check that primer out!

      Delete
  7. I was waiting for your review on this foundation and now that you recommend trying it out it's what I'll be buying this weekend. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaah, thank you so much and I'm sorry it took me so long to get this up...it takes me so long to write these reviews since you know I'm wordy and like details. Lol!! :)

      I would absolutely love to know what you think when you try this. Please keep me posted?

      Delete
    2. Will do!
      No worries, I love your reviews especially when they are wordy and very detailed.

      Delete
  8. I'm so happy Hard Candy is re-taking off again! Love their products. Their are the best quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They definitely have some gems, and this is one of them! :)

      Delete
  9. My skin color is similar to NC20. I have a yellow undertone and I use the foundation in Fair. My skin is combination oily. I like the foundation, but I need help finding a drugstore face primer for my oily nose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I link to a good one near the top of this review, if you'd like a rec! :)

      Delete
    2. Black Radiance primer is not sold at stores near me. Do you have other drugstore face primers that you recommend?

      Delete
    3. I've heaed good about the Neutrogena primer and the Rimmel Matte primer. The Rimmel one is allegedly a dupe for Smashbox's oil-free photoready foundation primer.

      Delete
  10. I really like the texture of this foundation! I was surprised at the coverage given how light it is :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm intrigued! I like a more natural looking foundation, and this seems to be along that line. I might have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may end up loving this one if you do! Please keep me posted? :)

      Delete
  12. Sounds like a good product its just too bad Hard Candy doesn't care to cater to darker skin tones. smh Thanks for the review G.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and yes I really hope they offer more shades in this range down the road, so everyone can try it. :(

      Delete
  13. I hope they come out with a "dewy" "luminous" version. Anything marketed to look like skin still ends up looking cakey on me. I don't even own setting powder, because that would only make the situation 10x worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would still give this a shot! It's so hard to convey it in pics, but this really doesn't look dry or cakey on the skin. And if you look at the first comment above, Budget Beauty Blog has dry skin and loves this one. I'm thinking you'll be happy with the finish, but please keep me posted if you end up taking a chance on it! :)

      Delete
  14. I battle with oily skin...like you could run a refinery off my t-zone, so blotting midday is a foregone conclusion. I like the Covergirl 3-in-1, which I tried off your recommendation G, but I'm a sucker for new foundations so I tried this as well. I'm usually the lightest or second lightest in a range so I got Ivory (932) first and it was sheet-white on me even though it looked like a perfect match in the bottle. I was forced (ha!) to get Fair (931), which is too dark and too yellow, in order to mix the two.

    Once I get a good shade, though, it wears very well over my sunscreen alone. I've tried it over my fleet of various primers and they don't seem to improve the wear time. I live in AZ where it's already topped 100 this year and I seem to be able to sweat through it rather than it re-liquifying and running off. Sorry for that gross visual.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I considered this but the lightest shade looks a little yellow. Maybe I'll try anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that the actual shade is a little lighter than what it looks like in the bottle so it might be just right

      Delete
  16. I loove this foundation! I have very oily skin and this keeps me matte longer than some of my high end foundations (kat Von d and tarte Amazonian clay). It reminds me a lot of the Estée Lauder double wear in terms of staying power and coverage. I also am in the shade 933 but it oxidizes a little bit on me so I mix with 932 :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like I have to add another foundation to my "try it" list.

    Great review - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Could this also be similar to the UD Naked foundation??

    ReplyDelete
  19. Just bought this last night so haven't gotten to test it for a full day yet, but it hasn't oxidized on me and most everything does. I used their primer spray on one side and their light primer on the other and think it's better over the primer in the tube but loved the spray primer/setting spray over it. I don't like the way it settled when applied with my fingers but it looks nice with my Real Techniques sponge. I'm oily but am 46 so have to be careful to moisturize more since it's not a dewy finish but so far really like it. I got it in fair because ivory seemed lighter for some reason and may need to get it in light or mix another foundation in because I have a little color on my face since it's summer despite always wearing sunscreen.

    ReplyDelete

I love and encourage comments here at Nouveau Cheap, and I do not censor comments unless they violate my comment policy, which you can view here.

Please refrain from comments that contain:
• Links to your own blog or website
• Advertisements or referral links

Thanks very much for your help in keeping this a spam-free zone.

© 2009- Nouveau Cheap. All rights reserved.
BLOGGER TEMPLATE MADE BY pipdig